Removing Hearth

J

joecaffrey

Hello, just wanted a little help. I have purchased my first home and my plan is to mount an electric fire to the wall and a large TV above it. A professional gas engineer is coming in to remove the gas fire and I'm removing the mantle. The problem I see is the hearth as it will look silly without the fireplace. Will I have to get someone in to replace the whole laminate floor as when the hearth is removed the will be a space where it was or can the empty space be fitted with matching laminate? Sorry I'm not a DIY person and thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
There should be a screw either side of the wooden surround and it will lift off, the Hearth itself should be able to be lifted off, the fire back too will have a screw either side to hold it in place.

What are you doing with the bits afterwards?

If you dismantle carefully you can ebay it all, or give it away on Freegle and someone will come & take it away for you.

That fireplace is worth something. Don't break it while removing it. Contact a local architectural salvage yard and see if they will remove it for you .

Or, better idea, keep it. Your house is worth more with an original victorian fireplace than with a blocked up chumney, electric fire and massive TV.

Sponsored Links
I'm giving the fireplace to my mum. I understand where you're coming from I guess it's just personal taste.

There are two things to consider when mounting a TV above a fire: the heat rising won't do your new TV much good, and when you are sitting down you'll be looking upwards at your TV. Maybe consider having your TV beside the fire (on the wall or on a stand).

TV that high can be a pain in the neck, maybe not for a while , but it's an unnatural angle to hold your head for long periods.It's comparable with sitting at a pc for hours with the screen at the wrong height , potential for injuries caused long term.

Amazed you want to get rid of that. That fireplace is def worth something as its in great condition!

I suggested removing an old fireplace in a thread of mine last month and got told off about it - where is that poster now having a go at this OP? lol

My wife would love that fireplace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back