Removing Kitchen Ceiling (Asbestos in Artex)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm going to be removing the wall between my small kitchen and small dining room. To hide the dangling power cables, re-route the light switches and sort out some downlights, I'm looking to remove the kitchen and diningroom ceilings.

We have artex on our ceilings (1980 house) which I believe has some level of asbestos in it. I plan to buy some disposable clothes and face masks to wear while we pull it down, but dust is an issue.

Once the ceiling is down, we plan to bag it all up and take it down the tip, or arrange for the council to collect it - would they charge for this? would the tip take it?

Any advice on doing this would be greatly appreciated! Generally H&S wise, disposal advice, demolition advice etc. All will be taken on board.

Thanks, Mav3000

Sponsored Links
hi the tip wont take it has to be disposed of by certified company who have to inform health and safety executive, i wouldnt do it yourself personally id get a company in because the whole area has to be sealed off because the fibres can get onto clothes, sofas, etc and be transferred easily you only need to inhale 1 fibre to get asbestosis and a standard dustmask wont protect you 1st thing id do is have it surveyed better to be safe than sorry ive been in the building trade for years and been on courses for asbestos removal and i wouldnt tackle it myself not worth it!

i recently replaced some old asbestos gutters and drain pipes and the tip near me will take them.

they wont take them off trades but domestic they will.

It has to be wrapped in thick plastic and completely sealed at both ends.

i treble wrapped it using visquin and duct taped the ends into tight parcels.

also there is a chance that it may not contain asbestos, i may be mistaken but it was not used in artex from about 1988 onwards.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at getting disposable clothing from screwfix for the job, and a couple of P3 dust masks for my Dad and I (we'll be working on it together).

Think this will be enough? We plan to make a few cuts in the ceiling as possible, but to bag it up will obviously involve some amount of cutting etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back