Removing limescale from shower screen? Toilet cleaner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been away for 6months and in the time my lodger has not cleaned the glass bath/shower screen at all and its now well and truly covered in limescale.

How safe is it to use toilet limescale remover on it. If i fold it so its over the bath, and use a cloth to apply it every 10minutes for half an hour or so before scrubbing.

Not bothered about the rubber seal on the bottom, or silicon around the place as thats being replaced, but plastic bath needs to be ok, but should be ok as its ok on plastic loo seats etc, crome work of the hinge?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
That is massive penny pinching, just buy a new one, would you want to take a shower in it again?

How can your time even be worth cleaning it, have you seen how cheap they are :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Cilit Bang lime and grime works well with a bit of elbow grease added in.

Mutley56

limelite foam stuff is great. Vinegar or lemon juice, especially if it's warmed first (but less great on vertical surfaces).

Anything acidic will get rid of the limescale, it's just chemistry - all these products contain acid (ionic surfactant) and some sort of stuff to make it smell nice and/or foam so it sticks to walls.

I descale the kettle (very hard water area) using vinegar, it's bob on.

Nozzle

Is that a no to using loo descaler?

I just have it, know it works on the loo, and its cheaper per litre than vinegar even half price lemon juice!

Daniel

Probably no harm in it, but it might soften/destroy seals or silicone if it is potent stuff. Don't get it in your eyes or on skin.

Nozzle

Watch out for any chromed fittings, as the chrome can be damaged by the acid, and (I can't remember if any particular acids are less damaging to chrome than others).

I think the toilet de scalers are relatively aggressive (probably because going to be diluted in the loo), going by how it reacts with lime scale and how it makes my hands tingle it it gets on them I'd probably want to dilute it down a bit

In fact I'd probably start with a citric acid solution, as I buy big tubs of it as I use it for de scaling the kettle, coffee maker etc. - much cheaper than descalers, or even vinegar last time I worked it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back