Removing masking tape...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From an EPDM roof.

I installed an EPDM on a shed and put masking tape on the rubber to prevent any paint from the adjacent wood to stain it whilst applying.

But I then forgot to remove the tape!

After the recent sunny weather I've found it impossible to fully get the tape off.

I've tried soaking it with water, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Tried warmish water.

Will WD40 affect the EDPM?

Contacted the supplier and they were quite understandably non committal given it is an 'operator error' :(

Sponsored Links
Isn't leaving the tape there an option. Will there be that many people who will go on your roof to check for imperfections? Letting the weather taking care of the problem is the easiest. Given time, the weather destroys everything.

Isn't leaving the tape there an option. Will there be that many people who will go on your roof to check for imperfections? Letting the weather taking care of the problem is the easiest. Given time, the weather destroys everything.

That is a good point. The UV light, which has set the glue rock hard will eventually cause the tape to break down (in conjunction with the other weather elements).

From an EPDM roof.

I installed an EPDM on a shed and put masking tape on the rubber to prevent any paint from the adjacent wood to stain it whilst applying.

But I then forgot to remove the tape!

After the recent sunny weather I've found it impossible to fully get the tape off.

I've tried soaking it with water, but no luck.

Any ideas?

White spirit would be my go to, it generally dissolves tape gum.

Try it on a bit of epdm but I can't see white spirit eating it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back