Removing/Modifying Ceiling Ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
full

full

More pictures available here: https://imgur.com/a/9MRF8ey

I am exposing the roof space in the master bedroom in my little 2 bed semi-detached house.

The Purlins in two corners are not meeting an end wall but they are supported with vertical props, and there is no evidence of roof sagging.

For the pitch that meets the flat roof RSJ, the ceiling/rafter ties are simply sitting toenailed onto the RSJ.

For the pitch that meets the exterior back wall, the ceiling/rafter ties appear to be joined to each rafter.

Therefore I believe the ceiling/rafter ties are preventing roof sag

Q: I am going to finish insulating and boarding the roof, then painting everything including the ceiling ties white.

Or I could:

1) Pair-up the centre ceiling/rafter ties bolting two together to reduce the number of spanning beams from 6 to 3. Advisable?

2) Raise all ceiling/rafter ties up to 1/3rd rafter length above wall plates, and add collar ties in top 1/3rd. Risky?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here?

It's just going to look odd.

When you step into your bedroom the ceiling beams will stop you seeing the height you want to achieve , all it will look like is you have pulled the plasterboard down and painted the beams white

You will also have lost the additional attic room/storage which appears that someone has converted into a room at some point in the past

All this effort/ cost for a bedroom which you pretty much only ever use at night?

Ceiling beams are there to stop a roof spreading , my advice is as you clearly don't know enough about roofs to do this yourself (if you did you wouldn't be asking on a DIY forum) you need to consult a roofer to get expert advice

Sponsored Links
Lots of examples of people doing this by searching for "bedroom exposed roof" on google images.
Lots of videos of home DIYers successfully raising ceiling ties to achieve it.
Hopefully someone who has done it on here will post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back