do i need noggins?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pitch roof of 20deg and a span of 2.7m. I have used C24 150x50 for rafters and celling joists. (The roof runs down the existing house wall then a small ridge meets two hips.)

Do i need to put noggins between rafters and between joists? if so do they need to be 150x50? i obviously need to at the gable to attach the straps to.

Also do i need to diagonally brace under the rafters?

and do i need to somehow tie the rafter to the joist mid span?

Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
Mid-span bridging for the joists. Use timber same depth as the joist or use herringbone strutting.

Fit nogg's to rafters at gables where restraint straps cross the rafters. Must cross three rafters.

No need for diagonal bracing on a cut roof.

No need for additional struts unless roof design requires.

The purpose of noggins is to stiffen a floor.

You don't need them in roofs or ceilings - except as nose says where a strap is fitted at 90° to timbers

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for your wisdom. :D

do i only need to attach restraint straps to rafters and not to ceiling joists at the gable?

also another quick question.

to join two celling joists together over a wall plate at the middle, would it be best to over lap them by a certain amount and bolt them together with another piece as a packer so they are either side of the rafters at the eaves?

thanks
again

In your first post you said that you have corner hips at each end, so you do not require restraint straps at either rafter or ceiling level.

What ever do you want to join 47x150 ceiling joist together for in a 2700 span?

If you are using 12.5mm P/B on 600 ceiling joist centres then you need 50x50 perimeter noggins and continuous noggin for all P/B long edges.
Regards oldun

theoldun

i have 2 hips as the roof goes down the side of my house, juts out a little, then around the back and over an old flat roof extension. hence the two hips. i have a gable at the front.

the joining of the celling joists is over the new extension (2.7m span) and over the old extension (2.7m span). the join would be over the old wall.

??

Had a quick shufty at your comic and can see now where you are going.

Restraint strap centre of rafter and centre of ceiling joist at gable.
100mm bearing for joists on to plate. Gun them home, blocking piece in between if you wish.
Regards oldun.

thanks theoldun

This forum is extremely helpful and that's only due to people like you, noseall and others that help the less knowledgeable like myself. :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back