Removing Mould on bathroom ceiling and preparing to paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I've got mould all over the ceiling of my bathroom - possibly due to the extractor fan not working and the previous occupants not opening the window.

I want to remove it so i can paint the ceiling but i'm not sure how i should go about doing this. I'm going to get the extractor fan replaced but if i can sort the mould out myself, i'd rather save some money.

Picture of how it looks at the moment:

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/9920/pict0007xx2.jpg

Any help would be great, thanks

Sponsored Links
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus christ..how could anyone live in that? :confused:

Give the ceiling a couple of coats of bleach/water (about 25% bleach 75% water) leave over night..then wipe over..by the looks f that you may need to scrub the ceiling, when its cleanish (you wont get every mark off) rinse it down and paint.

You can get mould remover/preventer from Wilkos. Clear liquid from Polycell.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Bought some polycell mould killer and cleaned most of the mould off although the brown stains are still visible - thinking i need to use a more abrasive scrubber - possibly even sugar soap.

Once thats all cleared up, should i treat it any further before i apply the bathroom paint i.e. fungicide paint and if i should where can i find it.

thanks

Most of the big paint compmanies do an anti mould paint...try their trade centres,

if it's a plasterboard ceiling, the paper coating may have rotted.

Check the insulation above the ceiling, a badly-insulated ceiling is cold and so attracts more condensation.

the extractor needs to be wired to come on with the light switch. some people have an psychological aversion to ventilation and will not turn on extractors or open windows.

Hi

Extractor fan is being replaced on tuesday.

While i was scrubbing the mould some of the paint came off and the paint underneath looked mould free, so it looks like its on the outside.

What i need to know really is whether it is ok to paint the ceiling while the stains of the mould are still present - i've cleaned it all with the fungicide stuff and will scrub at it more, but i doubt all the staining will go.

Also, a bit off topic - if i want to repaint my bathroom walls with magnolia bathroom paint - considering the current colour (which looks peach), would i need to do a overcoat of white?

I've seen these paints here and stockists are up the road http://www.johnstonestrade.com/?location=2&surface=91&finish=0&freetext=mould&section=13 , but should i just paint the walls with the acrylic stuff or use another product first such as the damp proof paint then the acrylic stuff.

Sorry about all the questions, bit of a noob to decorating.

thanks

z3usx said:
Hi

What i need to know really is whether it is ok to paint the ceiling while the stains of the mould are still present - i've cleaned it all with the fungicide stuff and will scrub at it more, but i doubt all the staining will go.

Try this: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=20639&ts=35642

You can get something similar in B & Q. Also, you don't need to use an intermediate coat of white. I've used good quality pale paint over bright red and it only took two coats to obliterate the red.

you can use a product called bulls eye 1.2.3. made by zinsser at leyland ?johnston trade centers no prep paint it on job done being making it since 1849 so it works it also stops it coming back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back