Removing oil-based paint from browning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think I can do better than what I'm doing, but I'll ask anyway. Oil-based paint was put over browning in the late 1960's. I'm now taking it off, so the browning can be skim plastered.

I've got myself some Wickes own paint and varnish remover and that softens the paint, but paint does not blister. I'm then using a scraper to simply remove the softened paint. I then put a second layer of paint remover on, but this time I scrape into the surface of the browning, mixing up the softened paint with browning particles. So, then, I'm left with a new surface about say 1mm below original, entirely free of paint.

It's a slow process though. In order to speed things up, I tried a wire brush in my drill (on the paint without having used the paint remover), but that did not really work. Then I tried a fairly course grinding wheel in my drill, worked about 3 seconds then clogged up.

Anyway, I'd like to be proved wrong, but I cannot see how to speed up this paint removal. Rich

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've just used a heat gun and it works, but it's not quicker. Paint comes off and then I can use white spirit to finish off. I think only mechanical abrasive tool would speed things up.

What are you messing around for? The plasterer will use a bonding agent and go straight over the paint.

Sponsored Links
Does the paint really need to be removed to be skimmed?
There are various products that plasterers use to allow a skim coat to adhere to numerous surfaces, including paint, although I cant say I've personally come across an oil-based paint covered wall that was going to be skimmed. Maybe it's worth asking in the plastering section if there is a suitable bonding agent that would do the trick.

EDIT: That darned joe-90 beat me by a minute! :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back