Removing paint: Time for sanding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. The door is from 1957. It was first painted with a dark blue paint, then green, then yellow. I used a heat gun and the yellow blistered and peeled off easily. Then I used Wickes Paint Remover and that softened the green so I removed that. Then I have used the paint remover on the blue, twice, and the result is what you see in the photo. I scrubbed with steel wool.

Perhaps if I were using Notromors I'd have cleared all the blue by now. But, it seems to me, looking at what I've got, that the only option I have now, if I want to completely remove the blue - or the easiest option now - is to sand until there is no more blue. Would you say I'm right?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Door Front.JPG
    Door Front.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
I think the situation is, here, that the wood is fairly textured, (not very smooth) and the blue paint is lodged in crevices. And that it will take sanding to remove all the blue. But, I'm not an expert.

Modern paint removers are rubbish, including the new Nitromorse. You can have the door dipped.

Oh and the likelihood is that the old paint contains lead oxide.

Sponsored Links
Since I will be repainting this door, does the picture show that I'm okay to leave things as they are (not down completely to bare wood) and just repaint?

Last edited:
If you were painting it you should have given it a rub down then undercoat. No need to strip it all.

I suppose the surface - as now is, which is partly bare wood, partly the old paint - will take a primer? Assuming I'd use a primer. I'll be wanting a cream or white colour as top coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back