Removing old grout...a happy tale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the tiles behind the kitchen sink I could see the grout was discoloured....was white originally. I dreaded the thought of so called "Grout Whitener" or cleaning with bleach and considered chopping off the tiles and replacing them. Then I remembered I had a Dremel and a "grout removal tool" which is actually like a dentists drill with serated edges.

Trick...I decided...was patience and not to rush. So I carefully ran along each grout line and used a Stanley window scraper to clean out the bits left on the edges and it all looked good. Test would be when I regrouted...which I did with Unibond grout....boy it looks as good as new.

Moral here is not to be depressed by the thought of grubby grout...accept the inevitable and do the job properly and remove the old stuff....set your mind to patience and take your time. Its worth it.

Sponsored Links
And if you don't make the mistake of using white grout in the first place you can save yourself the bother of replacing it. ;)

Oh yes......if there wasn't so many tiles I would have replaced it with a colour. I will never use white grout again...

There are so many colours to choose from now that theres no excuse....and it sets tiles off perfectly IMO.....and you use a colour, say, of the cabinet doors in a kitchen...or pick something in any room and use that for the colour...or close to it.

i actually like white grout, even with extra cleaning, it always looks nice and bright and clean

Sponsored Links
I've tried Bal...and Unibond stain resistant ...it still gets grubby. Maybe I just have a dirty wife....

You'd think so wouldn't you ? But our sex life isn't that great

Fact is she wishes I looked more like Charles Bronson....

....from my point of view I wish she looked a little less like Charles Bronson....

....from my point of view I wish she looked a little less like Charles Bronson....
Oooo a moustache on a woman is not a good thing! A Chinese who.re talked herself out of some business with me a few years ago when she compared her lip hair with my stubble. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back