Removing old rafters left by builders after double storey side extension? (pics included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, this is my first post on DIYnot, couldn't find an answer on Google so perhaps you might help.

I am planning to board the loft in my house. It's a 1930s semi that has been extended on one side and back a bit. I believe the original builders who performed the extension kept most of the rafters on the side of the house that was extended.

Can anyone tell me if it is structurally OK to remove these rafters so I can insulate/board it properly, or are they providing support to the roof in some way and are not to be interfered with?

https://imgur.com/a/BbnWzYi (here's two photos of the rafters, one from the original house, one from the new extension side)

Sponsored Links
I can't see your image but if it was a hip to gable extension then it will still be giving some structural rigidity.

You can't remove them they are structural to both new and old roof

I wouldn't!.

Screenshot_20201212-234032_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is that an impressionist painting of a lady's buttocks, or am I misinterpreting it?

That was here when we moved in! Perhaps I should get it valued, might be worth a few quid or two??

I will be leaving the rafters alone and just ducking every time I walk from one end to the other, cheers all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back