Removing old tile adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help me to find out how I remove old tile adhesive from the wall, its a large area in the kitchen and although the tiles have come off easily the adhesive it left on the wall

Sponsored Links
Paint scraper.
If you can get the adhesivre wet it may be easier, try some washing up liquid in the water.
I bet you pull some plaster off.

thank you for your advice I will give it a try when I get home - fingers crossed :D

lynn,
If you plan to retile the wall,then it doesn't matter if all the old adhesive is off or not, providing it's reasonably flat and all the loose bits are off. But if you no longer want tiles on the wall and just want to paint it, then rather than go through all the bother of trying to get all the old adhesive off, which you probably wont without ruining the wall, then get it skimmed over with plaster. You will get a much better job in one go, and without all the hassle. Get a quote or two first though,so you know where you stand.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all your comments and at last the adhesive has gone although it took me all weekend their is now a smooth surface to tile on to. Wetting it was a great idea and saved hours of work and I really wouldn't have had the brut force, I also borrowed an electric machine which sliced through the stuff with little effort from me.

Now how easy is the tiling bit?
Lynn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back