removing one chimney breast from back to back pair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I live in a 1950s bungalow and the master bedroom has a chimney breast in it. Directly behind it on the other side of the internal wall in the main living room is it's opposite number. We need to remove the breast in the bedroom but retain the one in the living room as it is a fully functioning open fire which we use a lot and want to keep.

I haven't looked in the loft but outside it ends in a double stack with 2 separate pots so I guess it remains as 2 breasts back to back in the attic with separate flues.

Is it possible to only remove the breast in the bedroom and what would we have to do to support the remainder of the breast and stack in the attic and on the roof?

Or would it be possible to remove the whole thing from floor to roof on the bedroom side leaving everything in place on the living room side? Would this, if possible, be any cheaper and/or easier?

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Could someone, anyone please tell me if this is even possible. Thanks.

It's possible, but you need a competent person to design the supports for whatever parts of the chimney are left in place.

Sponsored Links
would it be easier then to remove the whole thing floor to roof than just at floor level ? After all if we remove the bottom part in the bedroom there's no reason to leave the rest of it situ. Will the remaining chimney be fully enclosed by it's own leaf of brickwork?

I haven't looked in the loft but outside it ends in a double stack with 2 separate pots so I guess it remains as 2 breasts back to back in the attic with separate flues.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

I advise you to summon up the effort to look in your loft, you will feel so much better for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back