Removing paint from marble fire surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have just ripped away some ugly hardboard to uncover a lovely fireplace. The surround is black marble, but it has been painted with cream paint! The paint comes off easily if I just scrape it with my fingernail. What's the best way to remove the paint without damaging the marble?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think (but test try a small patch first) you can use turps. It'll depend on what its been painted with as to how easy it comes off.

I agree with dcdec, providing that your system is oil based I can't see any reason why you could not use a spirit to help with it's removal. If on the other hand it is a waterbased paint, hand hot tap water would be the better option.

Dec

Thanks. I will test that out. I have found some paint stripper online that is supposed to be OK with marble, but I hate using strippers (hmm, that sounds slightly wrong!) so would be good if the turps works.

Sponsored Links
Hi jellycat, if the paint proves difficult to remove from the marble with either the turps or other methods as suggested, then I would resort to using the stripper. Marble will scratch quite easily with metal tools and loose it's glaze shine if you use anything like wire wool or even sandpaper.
If you had an old plastic car window scraper then I would use this, you can use it to scrape off the paint stripper, but keep wiping off the blade with kitchen towel to stop the stripper attacking the plastic blade.
The stripper jel will not be that difficult to remove as it does not soak in to marble as it does with wood.
The shine on marble is through polishing with ever finer grits but it's not sandpaper!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back