Removing paint prior to tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to tile a bathroom, where the walls have been painted with silk emulsion. I have seen in other posts that the paint will need to be removed before I tile. Can anyone please tell me how to remove the paint or how to prepare the walls prior to tiling.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Removing the silk before you tile.....god knows...

If the silk is in good nick surely it can be tiled over?...having said that I can see why they say its risky......if the silk blows then off comes the tiles too.....but ive never seen this.

Maybe you could try a steam stripper.....perforating the walls first with a paper tiger or a hedgehog.

Warm air gun may work..

But i'd hang around here for more answers from a tiler........going over previously painted sound walls may not be a problem.

I've found that warm to hot water and a good bit of rubbing with a cloth gets some emulsion off the walls. It's not brilliant at getting every single bit off so it's not useful for stripping completly, but thats not necessary for tiling so long as the adhesive has a good proportion of nice plaster to stick to.

You dont need to remove all of the paint. Just score it diagonally in both ways about 50mm apart. This is enough for the adhesive to bond behind the paint.

Ty

Sponsored Links
tylerb said:
You dont need to remove all of the paint. Just score it diagonally in both ways about 50mm apart. This is enough for the adhesive to bond behind the paint.

Ty

Out of interest...would sanding it with a good course grade do the job too?

Yes sandpaper is a good option its just that it is to time consuming. Its not a bad idea to score and then a quick rub over with sand paper. The sanding will help to break up any contamination ie grease.

Ty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back