removing push fit with limited access.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help.

I have had a shower installed with pipe work concealed in a stud wall. Although the water outlet for the shower arm (rain type) is a screw fitting the builder put some kind of small section of pipe with a push fit stop on the end.

Now the tiling has been done there is only a few of millimetres round the pushfit so the plumber can't get his fingers in to release it.
Of course, I can't just unscrew the whole thing as the push fit just spins round.

Not keen on removing the tiles

Any suggestions?

Can I just butcher the end of the stop and grab the pipe inside with some pliers?

Sponsored Links
If you can get to the whole of the stopend

Hopefully it's speed fit, and hopefully when you take it off, the pipe doesn't disappear into the wall

Put a flat screwdriver behind the stop end, hold the stop end, push whilst levering towards you with the screwdriver, then pull off

If all fails and it's on copper pipe you can cut it away with a junior hacksaw, though you might get under the release ring with the blades from small scissors and release.

Sponsored Links
Not a great pic - but hopefully will give you an idea how much the stop sticks out.

I think (will have to check to see if I have any before photos) that whatever the stop is attached to screws into some sort of wall plate with a 90 degree bend....

Whoever did that is a twart

If there is room to get a hacksaw blade in there you could cut it ( shut off the water first :p

What's behind the stud wall

Yup, bit special isn't it.

I just presumed it would easily unscrew then i could screw in the shower arm.

There's nothing behind the stud wall - so I guess going through that is an option. Will give the screwdriver/scissors/hacksaw a go first....

Yup, bit special isn't it.

. Will give the screwdriver/scissors/hacksaw a go first....
2 nails bent @ 90 degrees held in 2 pliers/grips - tuck behind the release ring inside the wall and pull forward -2 people ( and full PPE) needed ;)

thanks for all the suggestions. (especially Nige F)

grips and allen keys did the trick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back