Removing rad - do I need to blank the lockshield end?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm temporarily removing a rad for decorating purposes.

I'm going to blank the TRV end, but do I need to blank the lockshield end? I assume that just closing the valve will be fine.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I've removed rads loads of times for decorating, and most recently to replace 2 for aesthetic reasons. All I ever do is turn off the valves... Never had a problem over and above very minor drips.

I've recently disconnected both lockshield valves on a towel rad - they both leak slightly. You should be ok turning them off, but maybe not.

blank off the TRV end but the lockshield end will be fine for the short time you have the rad off

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all. I ended up blanking off both ends. Probably for the best, because now the radiator is off, my wife has decided that she might want to buy new rads, so it might be off for longer than originally planned. :rolleyes:

I only bother blanking the TRV off if it’s in winter as if the temp drops too low, the TRV could open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back