Removing render from exterior wall (1930's house)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house was recently rendered by the previous owners. This is not to our taste and we are trying to remove this (up to first floor level) to reveal the original red brick (house constructed in 1930's). I have removed the 'top layer' of render easily with a scutch chisel, but the underlying cement bonding is more difficult. I have been removing this carefully with hammer and chisel, but some of the bricks are being damaged. It actually gives them a nice rustic look, but I have 2 questions.

1. How can I best remove the remnants of the cement render (sand blasting?).
2. How can I best weatherproof the bricks once I have cleaned and re-pointed?

Any comments or answers appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Normally you could sand blast, but I would look at SODA blasting, same effect with less damage to the bricks. Less mess to clean up too. End result could still be a bit messy and re-pointing needed.

Other option is to use a brick effect render finish as just posted on here. StoneFXwalls can re-finish in breathable lime based stuff, with brick colours etc. I have seen there work on yotube and also a local school. Very lifelike in look and feel. Not sure where they are though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back