1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing old render to get rendered

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by jamesfisher1081, 23 May 2021.

1. jamesfisher1081

jamesfisher1081

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello!

I'm getting my 1930's house (top floor) re-rendered as it is in poor condition and has had a lot of patching jobs done in the past. Some sections are coming off really easily but where there has been water ingress through the render, the bricks have become really porous and when I remove the render, it's chipping the bricks a lot. (Pic attached)

A couple of questions:

1. Does that really matter if it is being re-rendered?
    2. It's proving really hard work with a SDS drill and chisel (really slow progress on those sections) - is it just a case of carrying on as I am and just be patient? Or is there a better way to remove these tough sections?

[​IMG]

Appreciate any help guidance

Attached Files:

2. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Leave the tough sections on, take the loose stuff off, the scratchcoat will bring it all level.
    Pulling the face off the brick to remove well fixed render serves no purpose.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. jamesfisher1081

jamesfisher1081

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, that makes sense to do that. The bay window box has totally rotted through so removing that and planning to rebuild the frame. The black membrane is totally shot so will take that off but not sure what the equivalent product is these days to replace it? Can you help?

Attached Files:

5. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    9mm exterior ply, breather membrane strap it out and expamet lath to render to.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links