Damp problem with old Render

ary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope some one can give some advise on how to sort out our damp problem on the upstairs rooms .we have an old 2bed semi the first floor walls has a very old porous but sound render (no flacking or hollows ) .The ground floor walls are bricks with no render, the bricks are chipped and old.the external walls have been painted probably a few decades ago with massionary paint.
In the bedrooms the wall papers are wet to touch and water droplets on top of the paper, causing black spots and mold. could even be condensation?.

Can I apply lime wash on top of the existing render and brick walls ??. or is there any thing I can apply to the wall to improve the amount of damp coming through.
of course I would have done cavity insulations and remove the old render and apply new render if money was not the issue.I don't know how much this cost but sure will be expensive.
I be greatful for any sound advise . Thanks :(

Sponsored Links
Ary If you cant see any cracks in the render.

Have you checked the guttering ?

Is your roof in good nick ? any slipped tiles.

Have you a cold water tank in your loft. Is it leaking.

Is the tank and pipes lagged. You'd be amazed how much condensation you get on unlagged tanks.

Is the room heated and ventilated ?

You might find that one of these is your answer.

Sponsored Links
The render looks sound so as the roof and guttering. No water tank and pipes above the effected room and they are lagged. the loft is well maintained and well insulated floor boarded and dry .
The room is central heated double glazed and has built-in ventilation on the offending wall. this problem is mainly on one north facing wall.
Many thanks memor maplin , Appreciated.
:)

Curiouser and curiouser.

This guttering how many down pipes are fitted ?

The Lintels over your windows is there a brick fascade by any chance ?

There is no down pipes or windows on that wall , but there is a window about 3 feet below it in the kitchen, I know there is no roof guttering or downpipe problem because it has been checked by professional roofer. we found documents stating that the house have been treated for damp with 30 years guarantee.
I have never experienced problems with damp before, I always thought damp will stay under the wall paper, didn't expect water on the paper :oops:

Are there any old brackets or fixings in the outside of the wall? eg from old cast iron downpipes or gutters.

Maybe something getting in around the gutter through a bol teven though the guttering is sound itself?

You are sure that the room is well ventilated - you have checked this - so it has to be from outside or a leak.

I don't see any brackets or anything els on the wall .
The room is well ventilated , but there is a walking-in wardrobe and the problem is mainly on the walls inside the wardrobe even though there is a breeze block on the wall inside the wardrobe.
Most probably you are right that there may not be enough ventilation inside the wardrobe to dry the walls.
The paint work from outside is very weathered and grubby and the render although sound , it is very porous and rough, I dear not to paint over the render because I would like if possible to put a smooth render on top of the existing one before painting, but I don't know if that is possible or am I asking for trouble?.
Very grateful for the advice Micilin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back