Exterior wall rendered but still damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought an old (17th Century) cottage with a rendered gable-end wall. The render doesn't extend right to the ground, there's a metal skirt that I can see that finishes the render about 6" off the ground. Below this it's the old wall and it's through this presumably porous part that the damp is coming through.

The interior is a room which has damp at the floor level. On the exterior, it's cotswold stone with joints - Are there any issues with me either repointing and sealing this wall - or preferrably cementing up entirely to prevent any further water ingress?

Sponsored Links
just point it up, if you can dig down below soil level and clean out and point up there as well,
if you render you'll make matters worse.

After re-pointing, it will also help to put in some "chips" against the gable end wall, rather than backfill it with the soil you dig away. Go down 12" to 18" or so,,,,,,they will fairly help to improve the drainage in that area. Anything is worth a try.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
After re-pointing, it will also help to put in some "chips" against the gable end wall, rather than backfill it with the soil you dig away. Go down 12" to 18" or so,,,,,,they will fairly help to improve the drainage in that area. Anything is worth a try.

Roughcaster.

Thanks Roughcaster, that's great - I'll do that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back