Removing tyrolean render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hoping for a little advice here.

The entire front of my victorian mid-terraced house has been tyrolean rendered at some stage.

The house is made of standard brick and then bath stone around the windows and doors. On the main areas / brick areas it appears the render is thicker, with an undercoat then tyrolean finish. On the bath stone areas it just seems to be a thin coat of tyrolean used.

20200920_122616 (002).jpg 20200921_184305 (002).jpg

The render is failing all over the place now, water getting in underneath, damp coming through etc. so it needs to go then potentially be re-rendered in the brickwork areas, i'm hoping I can leave the bath stone as-is or in an absolute worst case, patch it up and paint those parts.

The brick/ main areas I think I can remove the tyrolean render fine using a hammer drill where necessary.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best get the tyrolean off the delicate bath stone areas, especially on the arch? The small patch I have done, the stone is crumbling underneath...

Also, on other areas of the bath stone, the render came off in sheets due to the bath stone having been painted, then rendered over I think. Is the best way to remove the old paint and render remnants to very lightly sand it?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum area for this, wasn't sure where to put it!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back