removing rendering from a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

im trying to remove some rendering from my bathroom wall, was done about 25 years ago, tried the usual hammer , chisel etc...but its coming off very very slowly and its a big job...whats the best and quickest way i can remove this ?...cheers

Sponsored Links
If it's that hard why are you removing it.
Sometimes far easier to leave it on and tile over it.
I presume that as it is a bathroom you are retiling.
You can cause more damage to the bricks when you remove render.

If you want to remove it go to local hire shop and ask for Hilti T74 or 75 drill with chipping hammer as it 110v you will also need a transformer. Happy chipping

anobium said:
If it's that hard why are you removing it.
Sometimes far easier to leave it on and tile over it.
I presume that as it is a bathroom you are retiling.
You can cause more damage to the bricks when you remove render.
actually its rendering on the outside of the bathroom wall, the reason i want to remove it is because i want to take the front layer of bricks out and replace with new bricks that are being used for my extension which is attached to the bathroom, basically i want all the brickwork to be the same...

Sponsored Links
then just take the bricks out and the rendering will come with them!

Hire a breaker and drill through the wall into the cavity, do it again and again in a circle until you can remove the circle of bricks and render then get the breaker to make the hole bigger. At some point you will need to temporarily support the bricks above the hole until you replace them with your new bricks.

Try not to lose too much rubble down the cavity. It will form a bridge between the outer (damp) wall and the inner (damp-proofed) wall for damp to penetrate across the cavity. It will be worth temporarily shoving blanket(s) down there to act as a barrier to stop the rubble falling down below arm's length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back