removing rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the rear face of my property re-pebbledashed about 20 years ago. It has always sounded hollow when tapped and the float coat appeared to be live.

Recently, when fitting new windows, a large area of the top coat was disturbed and just fell from the wall. The exposed scratch coat was very weak, almost just sand, and when rubbed just came off of the wall in a cloud.

I have since removed all of the top coat, which came away from the scratch coat with considerable ease, by easing it off with a wide bladed knife.

My problem is how do I now remove the scratch coat? It is too soft to remove with a hammer and chisel as it just breaks down to dust when I hit it. It is also too firm to just scrape off.

Would an air operated needle gun be the answer or would that take the surface off of the bricks as well.

I would appreciate any suggestions that may help me resolve this problem.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back