Removing sharp edge of door after planing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

What is best way to remove sharpness at edge of door after using electric planer?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What does the other, unplaned side of the door look like? Rounded? Chamfered?

As am amateur, I'd take off the arrises with a single run of the planer at 45 degrees, set to zero, using the notch in the centre of the planer to guide it.

Sponsored Links
Similar - I tend to use either sandpaper wrapped round an offcut of plywood/MDF or a nice sharp block plane. I find power planers less controllable and I don't want a 3mm chamfer

Forgot to mention they are laminate grey doors and solid.

Also the original has a slight round edge to it before planing. Not sure if rubbing sand paper will ruin the finish?

If you want to look for a place that won't be noticed, to do a test sanding, consider the part of the door that will be hidden behind the round part of the hinge. Personally I think sanding will be fine, but I would perhaps use a finer grit than for solid wood, and i would move the sanding block so it was moving from the painted side to the planed side rather than going the other way (then pick the block up off the door and move it back to take another swipe), which could rag the laminate/paint or scratch the painted finish if you slip7

Is the door to be mounted on a kitchen/bathroom/external or other place that generates lots of moisture?

If you want to look for a place that won't be noticed, to do a test sanding, consider the part of the door that will be hidden behind the round part of the hinge. Personally I think sanding will be fine, but I would perhaps use a finer grit than for solid wood, and i would move the sanding block so it was moving from the painted side to the planed side rather than going the other way (then pick the block up off the door and move it back to take another swipe), which could rag the laminate/paint or scratch the painted finish if you slip7

Is the door to be mounted on a kitchen/bathroom/external or other place that generates lots of moisture?
Thanks for that. Yes 2 bathrooms and also bedrooms

If your planing and sanding will have exposed a reasonable amount of MDF wood within the door (check what the laminante substrate is) you might want to consider sealing it before condensing moisture from the bath/shower has opportunity to ruin it

Not sure if rubbing sand paper will ruin the finish?
In view of the fact that it is laminate sanding is the best way to go.

Glue the abrasive sheet (P120 or finer) to a piece of hardish flat material such as a square edged oblong of MDF or plywood, say 200 x 80mm or there abouts (spray adhesive is good for this), and apply to the edge at 45 degrees to the face of the door using light strokes moving across the edge and along the edge simultaneously. 2 or 3 strokes (not back and forth) working from the laminated face towards the bottom, top or edge will suffice to take the sharp arris off the edge of the door without damaging the laminate face. This is standard procedure when hand laminating items such as shop counters, etc. If you are really nervous you can protect the laminate edge with masking tape, but TBH it shouldn't be necessary

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back