saw or plane for internal door fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am fitting this internal door and need to take 5mm from both the top and bottom edges. Would I be better off using a saw followed by a plane to smooth, or using a plane straight off and making several passes. I have a power plane but only a budget one.

Cheers
Dan

Sponsored Links
For 5mm I would be tempted to saw at least half off then plane the rest. However I should say that I am not a carpenter and find planing fiddly and hard work.
Also, just to contradict myself, I did a similar job to yours once with a budget power plane and it turned out OK. I think I may have used a hand plane for finishing though.
In the end, for an amateur, I think either way is fine and it boils down to what you feel most comfortable with and perhaps which of your tools is sharpest.
Good luck anyway :D

By saw I assume you mean circular saw with a guide? If not, and if you don't have one, just use the plane. Hope the blade is nice 'n' sharp, if not replace it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back