unable to close the door. need to shave a few mm off the top lip

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have added a white arrow to the part of the door that needs to be trimmed as it doesn't fit under the frame. I used a circular saw and an electric plane for the bottom of the door which worked well, however this part of the door is a bit tricky and I can't do it with the plane.

What tool would be useful to trim a couple of millimetres of this part of the door?

Attachments

• 20231015_143332.jpg
    20231015_143332.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231015_143320.jpg
    20231015_143320.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
I don't have a router, so I would use a circular saw with the depth set appropriately. I would carefully set up a fence and do a few test passes to get the depth right. One done with the saw, clean up with a sanding block.

If I had a router then maybe some kind of bearing-guided cutter? But I don't really know about routers.

I don't have a router, so I would use a circular saw with the depth set appropriately. I would carefully set up a fence and do a few test passes to get the depth right. One done with the saw, clean up with a sanding block.

If I had a router then maybe some kind of bearing-guided cutter? But I don't really know about routers.
Ok if it's possible to shave a little off with the saw I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Last edited:
A bullnose or rebate plane normally. But if you don't have one, your circular will do.

Score a line with a marking knife or stanley on the one edge to stop the wood spitting as the saw blade gets to the end.

Sponsored Links
40 grit sandpaper and a block of wood will do it. Less precision could be achieved using a dremel drum sander.

I have added a white arrow to the part of the door that needs to be trimmed as it doesn't fit under the frame. I used a circular saw and an electric plane for the bottom of the door which worked well, however this part of the door is a bit tricky and I can't do it with the plane.

What tool would be useful to trim a couple of millimetres of this part of the door?
Have you checked the hinges are not the cause of it binding?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back