Door Adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies for what may seem like a simple question to those in the know!

I have just had a new Carpet fitted and suprise, suprise, the door is now unable to open / close without real force. So I am guessing the door needs to be planed.

However, When the door is open, it needs >10mm cut (planed) off the bottom. But when the door is closed, it doesn't need anything. So if I just cut 10mm off the botton of the door I will be left with a big gap when the door is closed?

Is there anyway around this?

Also, could I use a Jigsaw to cut the majority off then finish with a plane? I only have a hand plane, and the thought of planing 10mm worries me!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yeah you might get away with fitting rising hinges.

if using a jigsaw you have to take it really slowly,personally i would not use 1 for doing a door,i would rather use a hand saw and cut(yes it will take time)but that way you can cut close to the line you need and then use your plane.dont forget when using any type of plane come in from both edges.
this stops breakaway.

You must have had the same gap previously? or the door is not hung straight? Jigsaw unlikely to cut without leaning and leaving you far more work to do with the plane. Ideally you need a power plane , will do the job with a few passes.

you must be pushing pretty hard hows the carpet coping ,you must have a hump in the floor,try 5mm and see how you go,if there's a big gap under the door when everything is sorted you could fit a hard wood threshold piece

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem when my bathroom floor was tiled. Rising hinges worked a treat and they can help to close the door. Generally just a fit a pair as 3 are difficult to align

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back