Trimming a few mm off a fixed work top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to shave off about 3-5mm off a worktop that is fixed in place. There is a free standing cooker that is to sit between 2 units which at the moment is a very tight squeeze. What is the best way to trim the top without damaging the surface. There will be a metal end cover added to the top when it is done as it will be bang up against the cooker. I was thinking of using an eclectic sander or possibly and electric plane but not sure of this will do some damage. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Probably a router, would be the best, (you could clamp a straight edge to the worktop first, but can you get to the ends, if not you might have to saw them.

3 to 5mm will be a nightmare as jigsaw and handsaw would just go off line

circular saw router or planer will do the job but you still need a jigsaw [ https://www.toolstation.com/messages.html?code=46298&mainWin=1 ]
or handsaw for the last few inches assuning its against a wall

one way of cutting close to the edge with a hand saw is to screw and glue a batton on the end level with the surface
when the glues dry cut removing screws just before you reach them

reason for leaving the screws in is just incase the glue doesnt stick well on a greasy edge

I used a circular saw with a fine-cut blade but like already said, you'll need a handsaw for the last little bit close to the wall.

Sponsored Links
I used a handsaw, clamp a timber scrap over the top to prevent it going off line and saw thru both scrap timber and worktop.Finished with a belt sander, vertical so belt travels is downwards direction and gives a clean finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back