cutting worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me the best way to cut my worktop .

i have a built in oven and hob atm.

i have been given a superb free standing cooker off my mum & dad as there moving to a bungalow with a new kitchen fitted so this new cooker is mine .

i have a 600 base unit to remove which is no prob and the gas connection is there so its just the work top to sort.
what is best way to do it without removing as that will be a pain as its tiled and decorated and about 3 metres long and the cooker is central with cupboards either side.

do you need a particular saw blade to minimize damage to the worktop finish etc

i can get the metal plates for the sawn edge to make good etc

Sponsored Links
Your going to struggle doing it in place, nothing I know of will cut it all the way to the wall. You can get neat edge blades for your jigsaw the cut down but there hard to use and you wouldn't get a straight edge. Circular saw would damage surface alot, hand sawing would be the only way to possibly do it but again you'd need to be good with a saw to get it straight.

If it were me I'd take the work top off by lowering the units below.

Your going to struggle doing it in place, nothing I know of will cut it all the way to the wall. You can get neat edge blades for your jigsaw the cut down but there hard to use and you wouldn't get a straight edge. Circular saw would damage surface alot, hand sawing would be the only way to possibly do it but again you'd need to be good with a saw to get it straight.

If it were me I'd take the work top off by lowering the units below.

hmmmmm thought that might be the case :cry

ill get a pro on the job as i know a couple but was after saving myself a few bob as ill be paying a gas fitter for a new connection lol

thanks for your reply its much appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
I'd router it by hand as far as and finish very carefully with a fine handsaw, scoring the laminate first with a sharp blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back