Removing Sheen Emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've attempted to paint new matt emulsion over some sort of sheen/soft sheen emulsion and the old paint has come off the wall and wraps around the roller or brush leaving large blotches of bare plaster. Any ideas how I can remove the remainder? Sanding doesn't work. Thanks. :cry:

Sponsored Links
You might find its distemper under the soft sheen..is it powdery?

I think you might have to strip the whole lot off, if its wrapping round your roller and coming off in strips, then it should scrape off quite easily.

Buy one of those long handled scrapers things that has a sharp blade, I havent got a link to show you, but am sure someone will find one, the are fantastic for getting paint of the walls.

I havent got a link to show you,

I have...:cool:

scraper.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Wall underneath is plasterboard with some sort of thin white covering on it. House was built in 1995. I've already tried stripping it with scrapers but it causes a lot of damage. Steaming it with a wallpaper stripper gives mixed results and again causes problems with what's underneath.

Any other ideas? At this rate my swear box contents will be enough to pay for the new Wembley stadium.

Stepney said:
House was built in 1995.

It's not distemper then :)

Do you suppose it could be wallpaper paste where some idiot sized it before painting?

You may have to apply lining paper.

No other ideas.

This is a classic case of people using any type of emulsion on new surfaces then BANG, resulting in years down the line the problems start.

Your problem can be caused be overthinning an first/mist coat or wrong type of emulsion used in the incorrect enviroment or using an emulsion to thickly or applying emulsion to thickly or using an flexible emulsion on porous surface or use of PVA or an emulsion that is made for wallboard only and used on plaster or an emulsion that is made for plaster and used on wallboard or using acrylic eggshell over some highly porous emulsions etc..............

You will be best, i think, to coat walls with Dulux Trade Alkali Resisting Primer by brush and leave for 72 hours. Then fill any imperfections and lightly sand. Then buy Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt and apply two coats by brush but thin down both coats by 20% with water.

Or get an Plasterer in...................

Thanks for the suggestions.

Painting was done by the orginal builder when the house was built so you'd think they would know better!
I've just tried some grafetti removal gel and managed to get rid of a lot of the blotches. Will try the alkali stuff and matt paint for the untouched walls.

Cheers

I have soooooooooooooooooo many problems with Builders that i stay clear of them when asked to do Contracts.

Builders have an Development of Mind that they think they know everything about everything. This is impossible. All Trades can chage over night. Its like an General Doctor trying to supersede an Consultant who specializes in one particular area of Health !

It's got that bad with Builders that they ask for a price. Then once you arrive to discuss the price, they then hand you a document explaining the price they want you to do it at. I explain that i have not priced yet. They reply, "Take it or leave it".

However, to do a Contract at the Builders price then you would be forced to cut corners. Only corners i cut is with "Cutting In" with my brush.

Anyway, hope ya resolve your surfaces & good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back