Removing skirtings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just removing my skirtings with a plasterer lined up for Friday and Sat.

Skirtings have been on years.

Started at one wall and on taking skirtings off noticed the gap below the existing plaster is about 5mm, which im thinking the plasterer will be abl to bring out a little bit with the skimming and then i'll 'no more nails' a new skirt to it when done.

But as i got to the middle of the room, noticed the gap was a bit deeper - maybe say 10mm perhaps? Do i carry on??

I've not taken skirt fully off yet (a bit noisy and kids are sleeping in room next door) and time to rescue it if needs be - but don't want plasterer moaning or trying to charge me a fortune for sorting out.

Shall i stop or will he be able to skim over a couple of extras times to sort?

Bear in mind it's approx 3" high, and around 13m only. Not massive.

As ever, any help appreciated!

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry about it. You plasterer will be able to bring that out. Bonding would be best to fill it out with, but he'll know himself.

Hi,

Just removing my skirtings with a plasterer lined up for Friday and Sat.

Skirtings have been on years.

Started at one wall and on taking skirtings off noticed the gap below the existing plaster is about 5mm, which im thinking the plasterer will be abl to bring out a little bit with the skimming and then i'll 'no more nails' a new skirt to it when done.

But as i got to the middle of the room, noticed the gap was a bit deeper - maybe say 10mm perhaps? Do i carry on??

I've not taken skirt fully off yet (a bit noisy and kids are sleeping in room next door) and time to rescue it if needs be - but don't want plasterer moaning or trying to charge me a fortune for sorting out.

Shall i stop or will he be able to skim over a couple of extras times to sort?

Bear in mind it's approx 3" high, and around 13m only. Not massive.

As ever, any help appreciated!

Cheers

b the skirtingSimon
yes carry on, he will most probably dub the skirting line out with bonding b4 he skims, its not a big deal

Thanks chaps.

Can i just clarify - is bonding a liquid type material or some type of board????? Had a few quoting and a few have mentioned bonding.

Will crack on with the demolition tomorrow!

I've got a wall and the plaster is cracked to buggery and sounds very hollow (blown?). I've really got a feeling that the skirtings are holding the whole wall up! Well the plaster face.

As plasterers - would you prefer me to crack on with removing the skirts (and probably the whole plaster face?) or shall i leave as is, let him do as he feels fit, and just remove the skirts himself (only 3m) to be on the safe side?

Thanks again fellas.

Sponsored Links
Bonding is an undercoat plaster used for thicker coats/filling deeper areas/holes etc. Although there are others too.
Be careful when you remove skirtings because you could cause damage to the plaster on the wall along the length. Again,, i'd let the plasterer do it. If he does it, he'll be aware of that and will repair any damage caused before skimming.

Thanks chaps.

Can i just clarify - is bonding a liquid type material or some type of board????? Had a few quoting and a few have mentioned bonding..[/quote]
cts/thistle_plaster_products/thistle_undercoat_plasters/thistle_bonding_coat.aspx

tryandtryagain";p="2490718 said:
I've got a wall and the plaster is cracked to b*****r and sounds very hollow (blown?). I've really got a feeling that the skirtings are holding the whole wall up! Well the plaster face.
I doubt that, but whilst ripping the skirting boards off, it could well pull off lower section of plaster, depending on the condition of plaster and the original and previous methods of plastering.
As plasterers - would you prefer me to crack on with removing the skirts (and probably the whole plaster face?) or shall i leave as is, let him do as he feels fit, and just remove the skirts himself (only 3m) to be on the safe side?
As a plasterer and being cynical, I would personally prefer you to do it, only because you will then be aware of any damage that has been caused and would then not hold me responsible for causing the damage and hinting I had created extra work for myself, therefore gaining financially.
Not that I would suggest you would do that, but are some funny buggers about!
But be aware if you do remove then yourself, there is likely to be 6 inch nails hammered in and wood fixing blocks in the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back