Removing small windblown Ash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lot of small saplings that find their way into my garden between slabs block paving and burrowing through weed fabric in loose stone areas.

They seem to come from nowhere and then take hold, windblown from lots of nearby trees? If I am quick while they are small they can be pulled out root and all. But too many have grown to 18" to 24" and are too well rooted to just pull them up. I am prepared to lift the fabric, re-dig the lot, saplings roots and all, and relay the whole area of fabric and stones.

But how do I permanently remove and ensure they don't return? They are a real menace.
What real stump/root killers are there that I can safely use - we have cat and dog.

Suggestions please.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Use glyphosate, spray it on the leaves and takes about 2 weeks to show the plant dying. Fine for animals once it's dry and you have to wait for a dry day to apply, any rain in the next 8 hours or so and it won't work.

and takes about 2 weeks to show the plant dying
Thanks,
Q1> What would a trade name be for any of the glyphosate sprays, will I get it at Homebase or any garden centre? They are about 2ft tall in some cases and as thick as my finger.
Q2> You mention 'plants', does that also kill the mini-trunks of these saplings?
Q3> I will obviously still need to dig them out once dead, how long to wait before they are properly dead and on their way when digging/ pulling them out should be much easier?

Last edited:
Roundup is one make, just check the ingredients of whatever you find and yes, should get it at homebase etc, tho they may not stock as much as the gardening season is over as far as shops are concerned. It works by being absorbed through the leaves (so should be applied in the growing season while it has leaves) and it then goes down to the roots, killing the whole plant. It does take some time tho and sometimes another application but it's very good stuff.

When the sapling is completely withered and brown, then you can pull out and if want, can leave the roots behind as the plant is dead. If you do it too early, it may not have reached the roots and then it will regrow. The most common complaint when people deal with this is they get impatient and expect instant results then think it's not working. Takes 2-3 weeks to die off, if not happened by then, then reapply. Especially tough plants, like bramble, dock and thistle I mash up the leaves a bit then spray because sometimes waxier plants can stop the absorption.

It will kill pretty much everything you spray it on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's great.
I have a loose pebbles on top of weed control fabric landscaped area. These rogue saplings have likely come from nearby trees and have found their way between overlapped fabric joints or even come up or down through it! They can start growing just in the pebbles themselves and then when strong enough go for the journey through the fabric, so much for the fabric! It also doesn't help that there are holes in some of this fabric cut for plants/bushes to come through. That creates an esy entry point for these saplings to root through.
I plan on lifting the whole area and fitting new heavier, wider fabric.
Q> Would you advise gaffer taping the joints to minimise stray growth through them?
Q> Could I put a type of weed/root killer all over the ground under the new fabric?
Q> If I spray all offending leaves now, could I start clearing the area in November?
Q> I also have small stems of the same but with no leaves, I cut them off. Di I spray on the cut stem? How long for the treatment to reach and kill the roots?
Q> If I do it now maybe leave until late winter to prepare site for Spring?

Thanks for all advice.

1- Gaffer tape, fine to do but the glue will not last for long against the elements. Prob best to overlap with a much larger margin.
2 - You can but pretty pointless unless you have weeds under. It doesn't act on soil, or stay dormant.
3 - If the first application works, Nov be ok. I already said it takes about 2-3 weeks to work, give or take.
4 - You could try, but probably best to recut just before application as the stem has probably sealed over. Alternative is to wait until new leaves emerge which is how it's designed to work. How long to reach the roots? Already said it takes 2-3 weeks to work! Grins.
5 - You can do it whenever you like! Best time is when the plant is actively growing, so not in winter.

In my experience weed membrane will give up eventually and eventually soil will form on top with normal garden waste - leaves blown in the wind etc rotting down. This soil of course will give new weeds something to grow with, such is the nature of weeds and gardening!

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll find a woody weedkiller like sbk much more effective. With thicker woody ones roundup will burn off the leaves but often not kill them. There is so little leaf area vs woody stem they dont take round up in well enough.

Thick ones can be treated best by cutting the stem and painting on a dab of strong (nearly neat) sbk.

You would need to keep the dog away for at least a few hours while it dries but read the instructions carefully for exclusion details

With thicker woody ones roundup will burn off the leaves but often not kill them. There is so little leaf area vs woody stem they dont take round up in well enough.
Thanks. That is exactly the situation I have in some cases where I have cut off the little foliage there is, so something needs to penetrate the wood.
Q1 Do I cut a little to expose sappy wood?
Q2 Where can I get sbk and is that the brand name it would be known by?
Q3 Are we talking many week/months for it to take effect and really rot or destroy the woody parts and get to the root?
It will be great if this works.
Thanks again.

sbk is a brand name and should be available at b&q or similar

Just cut it to exposed fresh wood and paint onto that.

It will take a few weeks for them to die but it can be hit or miss at this time of year when plants are starting to wind down. It will kill the plant to the root but will not rot it or anything, it will still need physically removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back