Removing Stain from Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just bought a house and the bath looks gruby, I thought it was just a build up of dirt and got to work on it with a scrubbing brush and bleach, to no avail.

The bath is cast iron I think - it's definitely not plastic. Any ideas on what may shift this marking - as I say, it looks like old marks from dirt but it's just not shifting and I don't have any idea what it could be. Maybe someone has used the bath to die some clothes.

Any ideas welcome.

Many thanks
Terri

Sponsored Links
sometimes the stain is mixed with oild limescale and/or congealed soap deposits.

I see you are in London so presumably do not have soft water and rust marks, but may have hard water.

I would start with a bathroom cleaner spray like the Flash one. This will remove soap deposits and limescale. I use a white nylon pan scourer (it is milder than the green one). I find this gets marks off my bathroom porcelain ware.

A genuine cast iron bath is rather expensive (though very cold in winter) so try not to spoil the enamel.

If it is still marked you could try "Bar-Keepers Friend" cleaning powder which is very good for polishing out marks. I use it on my white sink. However it is a fine abrasive so don't use it more than you can help. If you mix it into a paste with water it seems to draw out and bleach away some stains even before you rub it.

Go and find your local independent cleaning supply company. Every town has one, usually flogging black bin bags and henry hoovers. They will stock acid cleaners that will not be available in supermarkets. They will also be able to advise you on what is best to use.

Go and find your local independent cleaning supply company. Every town has one, usually flogging black bin bags and henry hoovers. They will stock acid cleaners that will not be available in supermarkets. They will also be able to advise you on what is best to use.

Thanks - yes we've got one of those stores - will try it.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
terry - I've previously posted on the Forum (maybe do a search) how to clean-up baths, basins, bog pans, etc. Use Brick or Mortar Cleaner, available from any decent builders merchant, it's dilute hydrochloric acid designed to remove mortar/cement/lime residue (it's also brilliant for de-scaling kettles). Brush it on the offending bath, basin, or bog, watch it effervesce as it 'disolves' the staining, wash off with copious amounts of cold water. Your bath, basin, bog WILL look like new - we've been using this stuff for decades when doing refurbishments in listed buildings. It can also be used successfully for refurbishing limescaled chrome taps & other chrome fittings but you must make sure you neutralise the acid quickly with water. It is possible to clean off stainless steel kitchen sinks with this stuff but it can discolour; not a real problem 'cos you can get the shine back with a stainless steel polish (5 mins extra work). Take the usual precautions when using an acid - googles, plakka gloves, old togs, cover floor with newspaper (then bin it). Decant a little juice into an old mug (do this over a sink so it doesn't drip onto the floor or your slippers) and use a cheapo paint brush to apply - wash these ready for next time.

I've even got a 5L can of the stuff at home for my domestic cleaning routine ... every home should have some!

That is absolutely fantastic advice. Will go get some.

I'm actually doing up a house - it's my first project after chucking in the towel as a secretary. Must say, I'm actually really enjoying getting my hands dirty. Thanks again for a brilliant tip.

Regards
Terri :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back