cast iron baths???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a cast iron bath, its not in bad shape but the surface has seen better days. i went to a few places (bathroom suppliers) and mostly, all i see is plastic baths.

my parents have a modern plastic bath but it doesnt seem as nice as the cast iron ones, mainly because the cast iron is more rigid and not as wide.....

are they any advantages of having the plastic baths??

what would you have??

Sponsored Links
Plastic baths keep their heat a lot longer, and don't have that freezing bit that your back rests on when you first get in.

If you like your cast bath, and you don't really wan't to have to smash it into pieces to get it out of the house, there are companies that will re-surface your bath.
Or get a quarry cast bath (I think thats what they're called), Very thick and rigid.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
doinupmyfirstplace said:
what would you have??
Cast iron for me.
Me too, although most plumber don't agree with me but I find the cast iron bath seem to be hotter or hold the heat longer

masona said:
Softus said:
doinupmyfirstplace said:
what would you have??
Cast iron for me.
Me too, although most plumber don't agree with me but I find the cast iron bath seem to be hotter or hold the heat longer
One thing I've done in three houses now is to wrap my plastic bath with loads of fibreglass insulation round the sides and underneath, too. Seems to keep the heat in quite well.

Although I would prefer a cast iron bath......

Scrit

i prefer the cast irons because they feel more rigid. whenever i stay at my parents or somewhere else with a plastic bath i can feel the difference, kinda like it bows abit.

is it possible to resurface it urself???

Scrit said:
One thing I've done in three houses now is to wrap my plastic bath with loads of fibreglass insulation round the sides and underneath, too. Seems to keep the heat in quite well.

Although I would prefer a cast iron bath......

Scrit

Good idea, I'm wondering if I could use the foam spray for bath insulation?

Hi All. I have a very old bathroom suite which is ceramic. The toilet cistern fills from the mains and condensation forms on it and there's a permanent puddle of water beneath it. Is there any way I can 'warm it up'? Also, the bath is very very cold, so the bath water gets cold quickly. Replacing the bathroom suite is not an option, unfortunately. Can the bath be insulated?

if you fill the bath with just hot water then go have a cupper for half hour or so when you come back the cast will have heated,
cool the water so you can get in,
the preheated cast will hold the temperature for sometime. + the odd top up you can soak for a hour or more,
if you have young children you need to lock them out while the hot water is in it

Just spray the bath with radiator enamel, works a treat lasts about a year before it even starts to yellow and costs £5 when you want to redo it!!!

Thats what i did and the bath looks mint!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back