Cast Iron Bath has gone rough like sandpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this is in the right place.
I have a cast iron bath and in my zeal to get it clean with limescale remover and scrubbing I have made it go all rough and sandpaper like on the bottom so much so it took the skin off MY bottom :oops: , I have bought a bath mat, to sit on, but save buying a new bath (no way) does anyone have any remedies for this without causing anymore damage?
Thank You :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
thanks Kev plumb - I am originally from Hartlepool by the way and my dad is a retired plumber.

So how is the monkey these days? That's what you call the mayor, isn't it? ;)

Scrit

Sponsored Links
if you havent gone through the enamel, then try some wet 'n' dry sandpaper, t-cut and a polishing mop.. treat it like a car.. just re-polish it..

Thank You coljack I will have a look in Halfords I don't have a car though so I have no idea how to polish a car!

To be serious, enamel can be polished with a fine abrasive and a sponge mop - this is the same process as you use to cut back the haze on car paintwork. The abrasive would need to be something like 3M Trizact or Farecla G5/G7 and the mops are special sponge mops sold for use in the car body trade (try Machine Mart or Autopaints for the mops and the cutting compound). The mops need to be dampened with water and kept damp and should be run at 1000 to 2000 rpm and kept moving across the surface (stop and they'll cut straight through), however, the roughness could be caused by the enamel having thinned over time and that "roughness" might actually be the sandcast surface of the cast iron beginning to appear. If that is the case then the bath will need to be re-enamelled and no amount of abrasive cutting will repair it. For £15 or so it might be worth a shot, though

Scrit

kamoha said:
I have a cast iron bath and in my zeal to get it clean with limescale remover and scrubbing I have made it go all rough and sandpaper like on the bottom so much so it took the skin off MY bottom :oops: , I have bought a bath mat, to sit on, but save buying a new bath (no way) does anyone have any remedies for this without causing anymore damage?

Do you have a picture?

Tim 77 said:
kamoha said:

Do you have a picture?

Of his/her red bottom :eek: :LOL:

markie said:
Tim 77 said:
kamoha said:

Do you have a picture?

Of his/her red bottom :eek: :LOL:

Glad you spotted it markie, nice to see you're on my level!!

Haha Fnarr Fnarr actually its HER red bottom!
I am sitting on a bath mat now (well when I go in the bath) I might try some very light sanding, I don't think its gone all the way through.
Definitely not paying to have it reenamelled I am doing all this stuff to sell the place not to cost myself a fortune for a bath I won't be sittling in much longer :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back