Renovating old bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old enamelled cast iron bath which need to be cleaned up. I remember seeing a DIY TV programme in the past showing a technique using an electric drill to polish off limescale and buff up the bath surface.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what did you use and how were the results?

Sponsored Links
some modern baths are made of cast iron covered with vitreous enamel which has been baked on the metal, if the surface chips or becomes damaged do not try to paint it consult a plumber. older baths, are usually cast iron painted with enamel, if they become worn or chipped, they can be repainted, when the bath is first used, always run in cold water before hot, the materials needed half pint enamel/ 3oo grit wet and dry paper/ turpentine sudstitute/ detergent/ tools 2in 50mm paintbrush sponge soft cloth, two tins,
1 Remove plug and undo chain, sponge bath thoroughly inside with hot water and detergent
2 Rub down surface until bath is completely smooth with wet and dry paper dipped in clean water
3 Rinse out bath and leave to dry, hang empty tins tiner taps to avoid water drips during painting
4 Wipe over surface with turpentine sudstitute to remove remaining traces of detergent, dry with a soft cloth
5 Paint on a coat of bath enamel with a 2in brush, apply enamel as thinnly and evenly as possible
6 Paint bottom of bath first, then the sides, use long one way strokes to avoid runs and drips
7 Paint the rim last leave to dry overnight with windows closed, door ajar apply second coat
8 Allow to dry for 48 hours, fit chain and fill bath with cold water leave for another 48 hours, it works good luck,

PaulT i know you asked how to renovateaa bath with an electric drill, i have not found anyting regarding that unless they used a "buffing" attachment that goes on a drill.

If your bath is that bad you may want to do as the above post suggests or you may want to try this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back