Removing struts & Re-supporting a purlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I would like to steal some space from what is currently eaves/storage space to make my bedroom bigger.

I was planning to run a timber between the 3" x 6" and the wall and then support the purlin with vertical timbers between the purlin and new timber and then thinking I would be able to cut away the diagonal strut and vertical timber that was the wall.

The rest of the floorboards in picture are sitting on 2 x 4's so my logic is that the 3 x 6 is there to support roof so between the wall and the 3 x 6 should be strong enough to hold the roof up :-/

Below are some pictures, my skills in paint definitely could be better.. sorry
p
IMG_20170924_1519531.jpg

If anyone is able to give any advice I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20170924_151953.jpg
    IMG_20170924_151953.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
my advice would be an SE would be trained and insured to determine the loads and design a solution.
In principle what you're suggesting would work, subject to the new horizontal being strong enough and deep enough, and the roof being happy to lose the horizontal forces on the purlin provided by the existing strut but not the proposed one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back