1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing struts & Re-supporting a purlin

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by Chonnymon, 24 Sep 2017.

1. Chonnymon

Chonnymon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello, I would like to steal some space from what is currently eaves/storage space to make my bedroom bigger.

I was planning to run a timber between the 3" x 6" and the wall and then support the purlin with vertical timbers between the purlin and new timber and then thinking I would be able to cut away the diagonal strut and vertical timber that was the wall.

The rest of the floorboards in picture are sitting on 2 x 4's so my logic is that the 3 x 6 is there to support roof so between the wall and the 3 x 6 should be strong enough to hold the roof up :-/

Below are some pictures, my skills in paint definitely could be better.. sorry
    p IMG_20170924_1519531.jpg

If anyone is able to give any advice I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. John D v2.0

John D v2.0

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    my advice would be an SE would be trained and insured to determine the loads and design a solution.
    In principle what you're suggesting would work, subject to the new horizontal being strong enough and deep enough, and the roof being happy to lose the horizontal forces on the purlin provided by the existing strut but not the proposed one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1