Removing surface mortar from brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just had a new window fitted and it wasn't until a few days after I'd paid the fitter that I noticed that he's wiped his excess mortar on the brick wall alongside and below the window...looks pretty awful from the back garden, just wish I'd noticed it sooner!

So I want to know if there is any recommended way to get that stuff off other than just scraping at it with a wire brush or something similar.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
MBHomeImprovement, good evening.

Are you sure it is Mortar and not some sort of mastic?

Reason for the question is that removal of these materials will probably differ

Ken

Hi Ken

Yes I'm 100% sure its mortar. They used the mortar to fill in the gap left by the old window sill which was presumably larger than the new one...and its the same stuff which is smeared all over the wall.

Just because you paid doesn't mean they have any less obligation to do the job properly. But I'll agree you have less leverage. Worth asking them to come back and solve it.

Sponsored Links
Hi John, yeah I might do, depending on how easy/difficult it is to remove it. If there is a simple way to get it off, I'd rather do it myself TBH as I'd rather not have to deal with them, but if its not straight forward to remove, then perhaps I will....hence me asking for advice on how to remove it.

I have a suspicion that there is no real way to get mortar off other than scraping, but I wanted to know if there was some magic chemical or tool that I maybe didn't know about. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back