Removing Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to remove a halogen transformer and leave the wires hanging until a replacement is installed? If not, what would be the safest way to take down a faulty transformer and still keeping the rest of lights on?

Obviously a very inexperienced DIY'er!

Sponsored Links
Locuml, It would not be safe to do what you propose.

The cable end needs to be made safe, I assume that the cable and the transformer are linked by either connector blocks or a small junction box, this being the case, all you need to do is ensure that the connection is safely up in the cieling, but so you can retrieve it later, to prevent it being damaged or touched whilst you source a new Tx.

ALWAYS ENSURE THE POWER IS OFF WHEN DISCONNECTING AND RECONNECTING THE TRANSFORMER, DO NOT RELY ON THE LIGHT SWITCH.

could you not just leave it there? (obviously diss supply, and note its "particulars")

Sponsored Links
Thanks FWL_Engineer - being very inexperienced I want to take the faulty transformer to a shop and get an appropriate replacement. I therefore appreciate your reply and couldn't really leave it as it was. I am such a beginner it is frightening....

lacuml said:
Thanks FWL_Engineer - being very inexperienced I want to take the faulty transformer to a shop and get an appropriate replacement. I therefore appreciate your reply and couldn't really leave it as it was. I am such a beginner it is frightening....

But you had the good sense to ask, that means your in the right ball park at least :)

FWL_Engineer said:
breezer said:
could you not just leave it there? (obviously diss supply, and note its "particulars")

Breezer, if you have nothing constructive to add why bother posting?

You seem bent on annoying me, when all you do is make yourself look a pratt.

I think he meant, leave the transformer in place, note the details and replace when new one has arrived, but this then depends on the fault in the 1st place....is it tripping etc......

Any-hoos.......play nice......nobody has any axe's to grind

Ian, the post has been edited from the first post..conveniently like a couple of others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back