Removing unknown Pipe

24 Oct 2017
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a brick shed in my garden that is attached to a main building, I am looking to remove the shed. The main building is not my property and it's wall runs along our boundary.
There is a pipe that comes vertically out of the floor in the shed and ends in a tap outside the shed.

The tap is old and fused so i cannot check if it works.

As I am knocking down the shed, I want to remove this tap and pipe. Can I just cut the pipe at the base , by the shed floor? I am a bit worried it will start spraying water everywhere.
is there a way to check if a pipe has water in it without cutting it?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi. First of all I would try to find what is the pipe size. If its 15mm get a push fit stop end (screwfix/toolstation).

The pipe would probably come from your house pipework, so switch off the water supply at your stopcock where water supply enters your house. If it is not working, you can shut it where your house pipe connects to the mains supply on the street (where the water meter is in some cases).

Cut the pipe first where you can use the push fit with pipe cutter or if you do it with a saw use may need to use file to make sure the edges are not sharp as they can brake pushfit seal.

When pipe is cut you can see if there is any water and if there is will have to use the push fit stop end.

If the end will be staying outside I would not leave it like that as in winter it may get frozen and break the pipe.


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links