Moving a garden water tap

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi all
I have a garden tap at the rear of my backyard (copper pipe coming out of ground) that I need to move to make way for a shed.
Initially I thought I could put the shed right up tight against the pipe, but access to turn on/off would be a problem.
I'd like to move the water tap a meter to either left/right
What's the best way to achieve that as a diy?
Cheers in advance
(stock photo as an example)
1697974966667.png

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You need to find the mains tap that shuts that off. Then dig down to get to the horizontal. You would only really use a philmac/plasson coupler with a copper insert if it's to be underground, then you could route it to wherever it's needed.

Is there anything I can do at the outlet, if i can unscrew the tap itself? Without needing to dig into ground and finding that horizontal?
Cheers @Madrab

Oh I see so keep the upstand pipe there but move the tap itself? would you have anywhere to attach one of these onto, to support the tap and any pipe?

1698235443141.png

Attachments

• 1698235231651.png
    1698235231651.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 1698235279598.png
    1698235279598.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 20
@Madrab Exactly right - just moving the tap sort of speak.
Definitely a few spots to either 1.5m left/right and I can affix the fixture onto a timber fencing post (plenty of support).

Well if the tap is live, then any sort of undoing will result in a flood. Somewhere there will be a stopcock. You just need to find out...ultimately it may be the one in the road.
Once the tap is dry, then you can dig down, find the joint and move the tap. It's a fairly simple job.

Exactly right - just moving the tap sort of speak.
The only constraint you'll have is the elbow that the tap is in just now as that is soldered so can't move so would need to head left or right out of that with the 2nd pic fitting with some PTFE tape

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back