Moving an existing garden tap to another position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a dilemma concerning the moving of an existing garden tap.
Short story… I have just had a conservatory built to the back of my house. As part of my contract with the conservatory company, they will need to move the garden tap from the back of the kitchen to the front of the conservatory (about 4/5 metres away)

The original position of the garden tap had a drain near it (not directly below it but near it), the conservatory company is planning to move the garden tap to the front of the conservatory however they are not planning to put a drain/drainage near by because it wasn’t put down in our contract. I’m no expert in plumping or draining but I assume that a new position of the garden tap will need some sort of drainage regardless if it was in the contract or not?

My questions:

1) If there is no drain will I have any problem in the future?
2) Is the company in the right or wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Why would you need a drain underneath the garden tap, are you likely to leave it free running for long lengths of time,
A garden tap is normally used for filling watering cans or Garden Hose fitted to it.

A garden tap doesn't need a drain, (unless you intend to leave it leaking and dripping all the time....). It was presumably over a drain used for other things as well.

If it is over a hard surface, then don't worry about it, the little bit of water that will be spilt etc. from a garden tap will just runway/dry up etc.

If it over soil/grass etc. then there is the possibility of you getting a muddy/squelchy patch. to avoid this in my old house where the tap was over a narrow border, on very poor draining clay soil I dug out a little bit (a foot maybe?) and made a min-mini-soakaway. filled it with bit of old brick/stones/pot etc. topped with gravel. I used a couple of bricks to form a edge to retain the gravel.

Here on the free draining gravelling soil we have now the conservatory drainpipe just drains onto the gravelly bath and it's fine.

and no, I don't think the company are in the wrong, they would assume the normal setup without a drain. As ever with contracts, it pays to assume nothing :)

Thanks for your replies!

Sounds like I was worrying about nothing. I just assumed that because I had a drain/drainage below my original garden tap that I would need one if they move it to the front of my conservatory.

bosswhite... hopefully I will remember to close the tap after I finish using it! ;)

Sponsored Links
Do you have a patio or something from the back of the conservatory? usually you would have a drain in there somewhere anyway?

You could always fit a non-concussive hose union bib tap.

Ignore this, it is an in-joke.
I was asked for one once. It is on a par with striped paint. long weights etc.

Yes, the patio is at the back of the conservatory but no visable drain/drainage.

Thanks for all your replies!

http://www.plumbingessentials.co.uk/non-concussive-12-bib-tap-with-151-1450586

Now to find some stripy paint / go for a long stand / get some glass nails & a left handed screwdriver!
Gordon Bennett! What a pointless bit of kit. I've never come across one before. I thought they were a myth.

Bib tap, fine; hose union?!?!
How far can you get with the hose before the tap closes?
24.gif

http://www.plumbingessentials.co.uk/non-concussive-12-bib-tap-with-151-1450586
Gordon Bennett! What a pointless bit of kit. I've never come across one before. I thought they were a myth.

Bib tap, fine; hose union?!?!
How far can you get with the hose before the tap closes?

Niche product maybe, but I've come across that exact sort of tap on campsites before. Used for filling up water containers etc. so a short attached hose is useful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back