Blocking an external water tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people,
I am in the process of building a conservatory but against what will be an internal wall is a water tap for the garden, we plan to get a plumber to install a tap from the front bathroom as we assume this will be the easiest thing to do.

But in the mean time is it easy for an amateur to remove the old tap, turn the water supply may be straight forward but not sure how tap will be blocked or should I just call ina plumber to block the tap.

Any ideas how much the work would cost? The new tap would mean drilling hole in wall mounting a tap and pipe an connecting to bathroom pipe distance of a few metres at most.

Thanks for replies

Sponsored Links
Pretty straight forward to cap off, however is there not an isolation valve to the outside tap? It should be able to be isolated in line with a double check valve.
The tap may be fitted to the wall using a wallplate elbow. In which case unscrew the tap off and screw in a 1/2" stop end with a fibre washer.

A very good concise reply, I will check for an isolation valve and I have googled stop ends so it seems straight forward as long as I can turn off supply to garden tap.

Our house was built 2007 so I am sure one will be fitted to stop water freezing in the winter.

How do I know its 1/2" stop end is that the standard?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Is this a compression fitting as I have looked at pipe and looks like if I unscrew it it might have a thread on it and not enough sticking out to be able to cut and add a compression fitting, I think!

Just googled stop ends on most seem compression fittings and are in mm so I guess 12mm will be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back