Upstairs bathroom water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a pretty old bath with mixer taps and shower hose.

Shower non powered, gravity driven from tank in the loft

Cold water no longer comes out of the shower head when attached to the wall

Experimenting found that it worked if the shower head was level or below tap level. Hmmmm!

The hot water tap pours water out at quite a pressure.

The cold water tap very much less pressure, frankly pretty feeble.

Had a look in the tank in the loft and nothing appears to be amiss. Clear water and nothing blocking the out pipe

Now also realised that the loo in the bathroom also takes a while to fill up. Hmmmm!

Before I call a plumber out is there anything I should try / look at?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing it's happened gradually, the shower was getting progressively weaker, tho not enough to consciously notice it on a daily basis.

you could have a blockage from the tank that is in the pipe that you cant see.
is the gate valve open? can you close it or has it jammed.

Sponsored Links
Is there a basin and has this been affected too?

If it's was ok before and it's occurred gradually then I'd be looking at the mixer tap and the cold tap as a possible cause.

Diyisfun - Not sure what the Gate Valve is, but assuming it's the one just outside the tank where the pipe comes out with a circular handle, I remember many years ago that being seized open.

The out pipe is about 3- 4 inches above the bottom of the tank if that helps?

Is there a basin and has this been affected too?

If it's was ok before and it's occurred gradually then I'd be looking at the mixer tap and the cold tap as a possible cause.

Hmmmm, could be i guess, I have taken off the shower pipe and flushed it with limescale cleaner. No noticeable change I'm afraid!

~ Have just checked the handbasin tap and fully opened that seams to have good pressure.

Thinking that maybe I need to check under the taps. Can you buy things to poke into the down pipe in the loft tank to stop the water flowing out as the valve appears to be seized?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back