Low water pressure in bathroom....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, was hoping some one could help. We've just moved in to a house and there is a problem with the water flow in the upstairs bathroom, both the hot and cold flow is really poor and the electric shower has very little pressure. The pressure at the downstairs kitchen sink is fine on both hot and cold taps. The system has a cold water tank in the loft, a hot water cylinder on the first floor, and an gas boiler on the ground floor. There is also a constant sound of trickling water from the loft so I'm guessing the valve on the feed in to the tank is not closing properly - and I think there is water coming out of the overflow outside.
Again I'm guessing but while the valve needs fixing if the tank is full then this shouldn't affect water pressure should it? If thats not causing the problem, what is? I've put a new hose and shower head on but still no joy.
Thanks in advance.
Jon.

Sponsored Links
An electric shower would normally be connected to the main cold water feed and not come from the storage tank. But who knows what has been done before.

It could be that the shower is scaled up inside, but that would not explain the low pressure at the taps, unless the cold tap has been fed from the tank, which I don`t think is allowed

Perhaps the cold water feed is blocked somewhere?

Its quite normal to have a lower pressure on the hot water upstairs because the tank is usually not much higher than the bathroom.

I have a gravity fed shower in the bathroom, which has a separate cold water feed to the main tank, so the pressure is equal.

There are plenty of experts here, who will probably have more suggestions.

Keith

I'll just drop this in here, as I am not a plumber (one will be along in a minute), but I do a lot of general stuff on houses and my approach is to always fix the most obvious problem first. You'll be surprised at what they can also lead to some place else.

Pressure comes from the header tank height. If you have a load of dirt in the system it can't help. Sort out the header tank issues first, and you might find an improvement. As I say, just layman's advice.

Bathroom tap is probably ment for higher pressure systems. Replacing with a low pressure tap should improve things.

The shower should have a mains cold piped in. Unless its an electric power shower?

Sponsored Links
His previous house may have had mains -fed combi so it just seems slow in comparison.

There is also a constant sound of trickling water from the loft so I'm guessing the valve on the feed in to the tank is not closing properly - and I think there is water coming out of the overflow outside.
Again I'm guessing...
You must must must go up and have a look.

none of us can see it.

Thanks for all the above advice, I'll try and get up there tonight and check out exactly whats what. Will let you know what I find and if I can fix it! Is there a chance I could be an air lock?
J.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back