Removing UPVC Facia to get access to drain pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having to remove UPVC facia & soffit to get access to leaking bath drain pipe. Is there any simple way to remove the plastic headed nails that will not damage the facia

Sponsored Links
It will not be easy to remove without damage, better to take a few tiles of the roof.

If you cannot access through the roof take the plastic heads off the nails with a wood chisel carefully, then knock the nails through with a nail punch to release the board, then you can replace with the same nails.

As Catlad said, the only way to remove the facia is remove the plastic head and knock the pin right through.
If you tried levering the facia of it will split, the nails are ring shanked.
When refixing go slightly away from original pin and use a bigger headed poly pin.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. It is not practical to go through the tiles so I will have to try to take the heads off the nails. I have a dremel so I might be able to cut the heads off :confused:

You mean Poly Top Pins? Just yank them off if the PVC fascia is strong enough not to break or chisel the head off!

nailpull03.png

You need a very small sharp nailbar, available in B and Q, then proceed as above. Keep the protection under the pin because thats where the timber is behind the fascia.

Hi Catlad thanks for your advice. I thought I would not be able to access the pipes from above. However not wanting to damage the facia I tried your advice and it worked well. I was able to get to the pipe by lifting the lead flashing and 2 tiles - perfect! Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back