Removing UPVC window handle with no visible screws!

This thread is very old but can someone PLEASE help?
I’m unable to move the backplate of my handle, the central ‘hole’ isn’t an Allen screw as it has slanted edges that lead to a round cylinder and the black block seems impossible to remove. Thee windows are 33 years old. The only thing I can think of to do next is to remove the side locking mechanism which I’m reluctant to do.
Thank you for any help.
 
The handle shown by Pigling is not the same as the handle I have on a Monalock. That looks like a schuco one that when the handle is in the closed position you lever the cover off.
The monarch ones I have seen with the scissor like operation do not have that large black pad. They do not attach from the glass side as I took the glass out to check - you can see the ends of the screws clearly attached from the inside.
If possible coild anyone send/post a picture of the key? Thanks David
 
Sorry to bump this now very old thread but we’ve just bought a flat that has the same handles as pictured at the beginning of the post, many of which are badly rusted. I’ve managed to remove the handle by pulling out the black button and undoing the hex screw hidden behind it, but I’m unsure how to remove the large white cover piece. I’ve tried to gently pry at each end with a flat bladed screwdriver, but it didn’t want to release…is there a certain point that I need to be inserting the screwdriver, or is there something else I need to do to remove the white cover piece and expose the fixing plate behind it? I’ve seen a link posted to replacement handles, so am assuming once I manage to remove this it’s simply a case of screwing back into place the new replacement handles.
Very grateful for any help/guidance provided, Sandy.
 
From memory, it's a friction fit. Probably very tight after all these years.
If the new handle comes with a new cover plate then you can wreck it. (Only once you have the replacement one to hand!)

We had one that perished, a guy came round and removed it, and replaced with a pair of cockspur handles with a backing spacer plate. Which bypasses the shoot bolts, so marginally less secure.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20261011_145845324_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20261011_145845324_HDR.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for replying, so is it a case of getting a flat bladed screwdriver under the white cover and just really applying a lot of leverage to try and pop it off? This is a pic of one of the ones we have in place
IMG_7389.jpeg
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top