Removing Wall between kitchen & lounge..Non supporting w

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a ground floor flat which I'm intending on removing the wall between kitchen and lounge ton create more space..

The plan is to remove the entire wall as drawn in red below in the L shape it is now (even the wall under the stair case. upstairs neighbours have already removed their wall which would have sat on top of this wall. My builder and neighbour both state its a non load bearing wall and will not require an RSJ and can be pulled down.

Both confirm the joists run from the back of the house to the front.

The other issue i have the the wall separating the kitchen and lounge has had previously subsided and had underpinning done on it. would removing the wall be an issue in regards to this?

ps the door leading into the bathroom from kitchen lined in green will be bricked up.

can anyone shed any advise on removing the wall & whether an RSJ be required?

Thanks

nmhqvp.jpg

Sponsored Links
This is notifiable to Building Control as it affects the layout of rooms and means of escape from fire.

It might not be acceptable to have the means of escape from the Sun Lounge through the new Lounge-Kitchen - it depends on what the Sun Lounge opens on to (an enclosed garden would not be acceptable, a garden with free access to the outside would be)

This also applies to the Bedroom, if you are opening the Kitchen into the Entrance Hall, not acceptable to have to leave the bedroom through a kitchen.

Removing the wall below the stairs (which lead to upstairs flat?) may not be allowed if it breaches the fire compartment separation between flats.

What was allowed in the past, what neighbours have done, might not be permissible under current regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back