Joists supported and bonded over an internal wall, I want to remove this wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have removed a non load bearing wall to open up my kitchen and diner however the doorframe and surrounding wall which was previously the entrance to the Kitchen approx 5ft accross has joists sitting on it.

These joists come from each end of the house to sit on this wall and are nailed together over it.

I want to fit a RSJ between the external wall and an internal wall (brick) approx 9ft across to support these joists so I can remove the kitchen doorframe and wall, this is so i dont have to turn this doorframe and wall into a pillar which might look out of place

The problem is the way I want to fit the RSJ the join of the joists (the 7" where they are both nailed together wont sit on the RSJ but one side of the joists will, only a few inches away!

Can i run a length of 7"x2" joist timber and sister the two joists that so there is more support where they are nailed together and not sat on the steel, i plan on adding a few noggins along the way to bolster everything, would this be adequate?

Tommorow ill put up some pictures to make this easier to understand

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back